“My child is hardly improving in his Chinese standards! What can I do?”
“I’ve tried so many methods: From getting him the most expensive Chinese tuition to the most recommended Chinese assessment books. But none of these are working!”
“What exactly does my child need to do well in Chinese? I’m feeling lost.”
These are the common concerns many Singaporean parents face on a daily basis and you’re not alone!
Maybe it’s time to look at these 3 components that make up the Winning Formula to scoring an A and find out which one your child lacks.
#1 The Teacher
Does your child’s Chinese teacher or tutor have these following virtues and qualities:
- Kind, patient and caring
- Great listeners
- Strong communicators
These are very important traits of a great teacher or tutor to start off with. Teaching is hard work and one needs to develop their skills for it. From creating a conducive, nurturing learning environment to building a sense of belonging for every child in the classroom (wherever it may be), a teacher’s scope of work extends beyond just the textbook.
And most important for all, what’s a great teacher without the passion and love for teaching? After all, passionate teachers are the ones who will make a difference in your child’s life.
#2 The Teaching Material
Teaching materials can come in many forms. From bite-sized videos to powerpoint slides, teachers need to choose the right one that is most applicable to the students. For example, it’s better to opt for pictorial-based worksheets as compared to plain-text worksheets for young children due to their short attention span.
Here are some essential criterias of what makes up an effective teaching material:
- Clear structure with coherent organisation of information
- Ability to help students visualise and understand information better
- Ability to simplify complex or abstract topics
- Engaging and inspires active participation from students
The teaching material also needs to be curriculum-relevant so as to build up exam techniques and help students to study smart.
Plus, it is important to note that a teaching material is only as good as how a teacher utilizes it. This involves the teacher’s adaptability and engaging skills to use the material to support his or her teaching methods.
#3 The Guidance
Every child’s learning pace is different. Academic strengths and weaknesses vary from child to child.
Early or late bloomers, the guidance for each child should be attuned to what they need. The teacher needs to be able to recognise the learning capabilities of each student in class and apply the relevant guidance accordingly. For instance, a teacher may provide slow learners with a different exam strategy that is effective to keep them motivated in learning.
Regurgitating information is also never the right kind of guidance. This should never be confused with teaching as it does not help students absorb information better. On the other hand, the right guidance will enable the child to flourish and create an independent mindset.
Teacher + Teaching Material + Guidance = The Winning Formula to Scoring an A in Chinese.
So… which component is the most important?
Now, there’s no priority in any of the 3 components. The teacher, teaching material and guidance provided should all work together in synergy to provide your child with the best education process for Chinese.
It’s only through this foolproof formula can your child improve by leaps and bounds to conquer the most difficult subject in school!
XueLin’s Ultimate Winning Formula
And here’s why we have the ultimate winning formula to help your child achieve peak results in Chinese!
- #1 Our Teachers are selectively picked and undergo intensive training to ensure that we have the best educators in the centre. Both passionate and knowledgeable, our teachers are experts in the Chinese education system in Singapore.
- #2 Our Teaching Materials are specially designed in-house based on MOE’s curriculum and top schools’ papers. Your child will get to practice potential national exam questions set up by our teachers after in-depth research of past year papers.
- #3 Our Guidance to all students are curated based on individual needs. We understand how each child is different in terms of learning and therefore, adapt our teaching strategies to ensure that no one is left behind.
This is the best place to nurture your child’s Chinese language and pave the way to exam success.
Ready to give your child access to our Ultimate Winning Formula?